Monday, June 13, 2011

Lemmings



We used to play a computer game called "Lemmings". In this game we had to build walls, bridges, stairs etc. to make a safe path for lemmings to reach their destination. If we didn't build fast enough the lemmings would walk right into utter destruction and our whole group of lemmings we were trying so hard to save would die right before our eyes.

In light of this game I found it very interesting today when I heard the definition of lemmings.

1. subarctic rodent: a rodent with a small thick furry body and furry feet that lives in subarctic regions. Lemmings are noted for their mass migrations in search of food during population explosions, which has given rise to the myth that they flock to the sea to drown themselves. Native to: Arctic and northern regions. Genus Lemmus, Dicrostonyx.






2. doomed conformist: a member of a large group of people who blindly follow one another on a course of action that will lead to destruction for all of them



When I heard definition 2 I had to think of my own walk of life. As a Christian am I standing apart from the crowd and being Holy Spirit led or am I trying to fit in the crowd and blindly headed for destruction. Am I really stepping out of the confusion of a mass group of traditional beliefs and letting God lead me? Am I being a lemming?





1 comment:

Belle said...

You are so right. We cannot look around at other people to know our God or salvation. This is something we must do ourselves. "This is life eternal, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent."